Saturday, December 10, 2011

Primrose Beauty


When I think of England, I think of primroses. What do England and Arizona have in common, climate-wise? Absolutely nothing. And yet, even though I know they'll only last for 3 months tops before melting in supra-70 temps(for us in Arizona that could be as early as late February or early March), I can't resist planting them every year. The large floppy-eared leaves, the bold bi-color flowers, the tall, regal stems...I love everything about the primrose. And they love everything about the cooler temps we're experiencing right now- highs in the 60s and lows in the 40s. Here's one that I have planted in the front yard walkway to my house. I actually succeeded in growing some primroses from seed last year, in a Rube Goldberg design that involved ice from the fridge, thermometers, a timer, a grow light, and all other manner of crazy stuff. Sadly, I made the mistake of putting my fledgling primroses in direct sunlight way too soon, and they got completely fried. It was so heartbreaking (after pampering them for 2 months!) that I don't think I have the will to try again so soon. But maybe next year, who knows? At least I know I can get them to sprout!

No comments: