Saturday, October 8, 2011

Avocado- the Holy Grail of Ambitious Phoenix Gardeners


This isn't an avocado tree. It's actually an orange tree on the east side of my house. But when I look at it, like those who foolishly dream of climbing Everest, I dream of planting an avocado tree underneath its wide lateral canopy, and seeing if I can be one of the blessed few who actually get an avocado to survive in Phoenix and produce tasty fruit.
Of course, those who live in Phoenix know that it's completely illogical to wait 7-10 years to get a decent fruit from a mature avocado tree. After all, the ones that are shipped to us from California only cost $0.50-1.00 each, and taste delicious so why bother?
But ever since I heard it's impossible, it seems to entice me even more!
Seriously, though, the east side, as you see here, is pretty much a blank canvass...not lots of room, but enough for something...hmmm...what shall it be?

No comments: