Saturday, October 8, 2011

Madagascar Palm with Five Branches


My Maddie had a rough year...first, we had that horrible hail storm last winter that damaged all its leaves, then we had the 2 late frosts. And if that weren't enough, I transplanted him from a container into the ground in March! Poor thing! I'd heard that when the top becomes frost-damaged, it will create offshoot branches...that's exactly what mine did. You can see the new branches sprouting from the sides. His leaves always look a bit wavy and distressed from the summer heat (I've had him for 2 years now), but there are a lot of baby leaves starting to sprout. Surrounding him are some verbena, which also survived(barely) the summer heat (I did lose one verbena, which accounts for empty space to the left). Next year I'll probably just plant some vincas around it and make life easy!

No comments: